Omega Psi Phi plans weekend activities

By Dawn C. Brown

Students at NIU can look forward to a weekend full of activities sponsored by Omega Psi Phi.

The fraternity will sponsor 100 Hours of Pure Omega Weekend that began Thursday and will end Saturday. Profits made from the weekend will help feed and clothe the homeless in the DeKalb community.

Willie Fowler, member of Omega Psi Phi fraternity said, “We’re trying to program activities to keep students here at NIU for the weekend. Our university has been said to be a ‘suitcase school.’ There should be no excuse, we have a whole weekend full of activities from sunup to sundown for students. Everyone should have something to do and we want to be responsible for that.”

The activities began Thursday when Omega Psi Phi hosted their First Annual Goodwill Basketball Games. These games were organized to promote unity among all organizations.

The fraternity will host a “Frat Attaque” on Friday at 9 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center Regency Room.

In this event, sororities will be given the opportunity to perform, like the fraternities, in a step show. The purpose of this event is to raise money for the homeless and promote and unify all fraternities and sororities, Fowler said.

Following the “Frat Attaque,” an afterset has been scheduled from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. in the Regency Room. At the event the fraternity will have a “sexy legs” contest. Chicago DJ Terry Hunter will DJ the event.

The fraternity will host its Fourth Annual Amateur Nite at the Apollo Talent Show. The talent show has grown rapidly since it began in 1988, Omega Psi Phi member Rodney Purdy said. Last year more than 100 people were turned away. Members said tickets should be purchased in advance at the Pow Wow in the student center from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in order to prevent overcrowding.

Performers for the Amateur Nite will include last year’s winner Jolena Spencer, NIU rapper “Sir Fish,” who just appeared in concert with the Compton Rappers; Too Hype, a group of NIU Afro-American cheerleaders; the NIU Black Choir, the most beautiful black women at NIU and Present Perfect, a modeling organization on campus.

Fowler said, “We anticipate a large crowd so we put together a security plan. It’s a coordinated event and we have never had any problems in the past.”

Purdy said, “Proceeds from our events will be given in the name of all Afro-American fraternities.”