Lecturer to speak on higher education

By Grant Miller

As part of NIU’s continuing Distinguished Lecture series, the president of New York University will be giving his opinions on politics and higher education next week.

John Brandemas, a former congressman from Indiana from 1959 to 1981, will be giving his speech entitled “The Politics of Higher Education: The Government and the University” on Nov. 7 at 8 p.m. in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center.

Brandemas is expected to discuss his views on higher education legislation and also focus in on the Bush administration’s education policy.

In his 22 years as a congressman, Brandemas worked on federal legislation on higher education, public financing of presidential campaigns and was chief sponsor of a 1974 bill to assure federal ownership of tapes and papers from the Nixon presidency.

Brandemas is also the chairperson on the New York State Council on Fiscal and Economic Priorities and works on the boards of Berlitz International Inc., Lowes Corp., NYNEX, The Rockefeller Foundation, Texaco, Scholastic Inc. and Aspen Institute.

Brandemas attended both Harvard and Oxford University and also worked for former Gov. Adlai Stevenson as an executive assistant during Stevenson’s 1956 presidential campaign.

Since he was named as president of NYU he has worked on commissions for student financial aid and historic records. Brandemas has received numerous awards as well, including 44 honorary awards.

The Distinguished Lecture Series began last year with Pulitzer Prize-winning professor and historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr., who spoke at length on the post-cold war climate and Eastern Europe.

The speech is free and open to all students.