Sexual harassment questions hit home

By Audrey Weick

In the aftermath of Judge Clarence Thomas’ trial, NIU students are trying to become more aware of what constitutes sexual harassment.

The number of calls to NIU’s Affirmative Action office has increased, and has pointed to new questions about sexual harassment processes and procedures, said Frederick Dearborn, NIU assistant director of Affirmative Action.

There are two types of sexual harassment, Dearborn said.

One type of harassment concerns employees. Sexual harassment occurs when the employee is subjected to unwelcome sexual advances and submission to them is made the basis for hiring, firing, or promotion.

Another type of harassment concerns students. Sexual harassment in the classroom is defined as behavior which emphasizes the sexuality of an individual so that it prevents the victim’s full enjoyment of educational opportunities, Dearborn said.

Examples of sexual harassment include: direct and indirect threats based on sexual favors, sexual propositions, and touching the body.

No one is immune from being charged with sexual harassment. Sexual harassment can involve students and professors, students and teachers’ aides or students and university employees, Dearborn said.

There was one formal complaint of sexual harassment filed and investigated in the university’s July 1990 through May 1991 report, Dearborn said, adding there also were three informal reports which were quietly resolved.

Affirmative Action has increased its efforts to raise awareness, Dearborn said. There will be more seminars and workshops on how to deal with sexual harassment.

Illinois law prohibits all forms of sexual harassment whether verbal, nonverbal, or physical.

NIU students can file complaints at various university offices, including the Affirmative Action office, the Counseling and Development Center and the judicial office.

“Students need to know that they can come forward and get help,” Dearborn said.