Hulting takes SA office

By Penny Rynberk

The complications with the 1990 Student Association senate elections should be resolved this year if Christina Hulting can successfully implement voting procedure changes.

Hulting, a senior majoring in political science, accepted her appointment to the SA Elections Commissioner’s office last week.

“She is a very qualified candidate and I think it’s a very strong political move on our part,” said SA Vice President John Quilico.

According to Quilico, three other people inquired about the position but Hulting was the only one to complete an application.

Hulting, also president of the Panhellenic Council, already filled pollworker positions early this week with members from various sororities.

Quilico said pollworkers from the past two years were mostly involved with the Interfraternity Council and the Black Greek Council.

“This year, we want to give the Panhellenic Council their opportunity,” Quilico said.

“(Hulting’s appointment) shows that the greek community is a very important facet in NIU life,” he said. “We want the greek community to actively participate in the SA senate election process.”

Hulting’s main goal is to keep the elections organized and running smoothly. “Last year it was very disorganized and there was a lot of miscommunication.”

“A lot of heat went to last year’s Elections Commissioner, Alfred Tatum, because people felt they needed someone to blame … it wasn’t his fault,” Quilico said.

“There was a lot of confusion for the voters last year when they went to the polls,” he said.

Last year, students were able to vote for five candidates from their district and three more from any district. There also were different colored ballots for each district, Quilico said.

This year, all students will use the same ballots and will be able to vote for eight senators from any district, he said.

The districts divide the campus into five areas, such as the Neptune Complex and Greek Row, to help give overall representation to the senate. Only eight senators from each district can serve on the 40 member senate.

“I think this makes voting a lot clearer and easier for everyone,” Hulting said.

The 1990 senate election vote totals reveal only about 13 percent of the entire student body voted during last year’s elections.

Hulting said students should be concerned with who fills the senator seats because they are the “people deciding on issues and budgets for all the students”.

“It seems like this year’s freshmen are really interested in getting involved on the campus,” Quilico said. “I’m hoping to get a great amount of freshmen voter turnout because of that.”

“Instead of students complaining about the SA, they have the responsibility as a student to get out and vote,” Hulting said.

It doesn’t take much, just a student ID and some effort,” she said. “We’re making it as easy as possible.”

Senate elections will take place on Sept. 18 and 19. Voting tables will be located in DuSable, the PowWow, and the Library from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.