Rojek named MVC Defensive Player of the Week

Scott Walstrom
Senior goalkeeper Jakub Rojek stands in front of the net during an NIU men’s soccer home game. Rojek was named the Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Tuesday. (Scott Walstrom | NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – Senior goalkeeper Jakub Rojek has been awarded the Missouri Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Week after his shutout performance on Saturday against Bradley University. 

After sophomore forward Taylor Davis scored the lone goal for the Huskies in the 45th minute, Rojek recorded three saves in the second half to secure the win. 

Rojek recorded his first save in the 66th minute, saving a close shot from Bradley’s freshmen forward Djibognihou Koulai. His last save of the game came in the 89th minute, stopping the shot from senior midfielder Caleb Ribeiro.

Saturday was Rojek’s second game of the season without allowing a goal. His first came in the opening match of the season against Western Illinois University on Aug. 24th. He has an average of 1.75 goals against with 37 saves and a .725 save percentage.

This is the first MVC weekly award for Rojek, as well as the first for NIU men’s soccer in school history.

The last time that men’s soccer were awarded a weekly conference honor was in 2021, when former junior defender Adrian Lara received the MACPlayer of the Week. 

The Huskies currently hold a three game unbeaten streak, which they look to continue at 3 p.m.  Wednesday at Western Michigan University.