Sexual awareness rises

By Audrey Weick

The sexual awareness of NIU students proves they are becoming more responsible, a health official said.

Although the number of sexually active students has increased, there is a decrease in the number of sexually-transmitted diseases reported to the Health Center, which shows students are consciously practicing safe sex, said Michael Haines, coordinator for Health Enhancement services.

Still, students should be more aware of how to go about practicing safe sex instead of only the consequences of unsafe sex, Haines said, comparing it to a car accident without telling how it could have been prevented.

Haines said such scare tactics are useless if the students are not given the methods for preventing such consequences.

The Sigma Gamma Rho sorority is one group promoting sexual awareness. On Monday and Tuesday, members distributed free pamphlets on everything from how to diagnose a STD, to properly using a condom. The group also offered condoms to passing students in DuSable Hall.

“Basically, we try to help the students to become more aware of what is out there and how to avoid contracting sexual diseases,” said Sigma Gamma President Anita McNulty.

Sigma Gamma Treasurer Judy Moncrieffe said she agrees with McNulty.

“In the era of AIDS and other dangerous sexually transmitted diseases, it is important that students are well-informed about how to go about preventing STDs,” she said.

The Health Enhancement Services recommends sexually active students who suspect they are affected call for STD testing as soon as exposure is suspected.