Fatty’s gets jazzy for the night

A part of NIU’s jazz ensemble play at Fatty’s Pub & Grille for the Jazz Combofest. Fatty’s hosts the Combofest a few times a year which is open to the public. (Tamya Burch | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Fatty’s Pub & Grille included a classy touch to its Monday Night Football with the addition of Jazz Combofest. 

NIU’s jazz ensemble gave a musical performance at Fatty’s on Monday. The ensemble played from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. and warmed up the crisp night with its array of brass instruments. 

The university’s School of Music puts on the Jazz Combofest a few times a year. The NIU Jazztet is NIU’s top performing combo. 

NIU’s Jazztet was labeled as “Outstanding” at the Elmhurst College Jazz Festival for seven consecutive years. The ensemble has played in places like Peru (April 2004, 2009), Toronto (January 2003) and Columbia (September 2009).

The musical guests’ appearance was a perfect distraction for anyone not so keen on the Monday Night Football scene at Fatty’s. 

The music was lively and high spirited with a considerably dense audience. The event allowed students to show their skills as they’re progressing through the semester as well as to earn recognition from peers. 

One combo opted to include a singer, Khadija Nagi, a junior jazz performance major and trombone player. The light, airy vocals created the atmosphere of a speakeasy as the singer added a touch of scatting as the cherry on top.

Nagi, like many students in the department, has been playing instruments since the fifth grade as an extracurricular. However, Nagi felt the jazz community pulled her in. 

“I always knew I wanted to be in music, it was just a matter of what area. Jazz has such a beautiful community that centers around it,” Nagi said.“Music for me is about playing with other people, and jazz just fosters that well.”

The soulful song selections kept even the biggest jazz hater awake and itching to hear more.

The next Jazz event will be a Jam Session at Fatty’s at 8 p.m. on Nov. 13.