Credit cards not for irresponsible

By Rebecca Keener

NIU students can get careless in using their credit cards and end up with a bigger bill than they anticipated.

Corporate communications major Roberta Schroeder said she makes enough money from her paychecks, but “unfortunately, my credit card gets built up.”

For students, obtaining a credit card isn’t hard. Applications are available to students everywhere.

The Village Commons Bookstore and the Holmes Student Center Bookstore put applications in their bags every time a student purchases something.

“The applications come from the company we buy bags from. If we allow them to put the applications in the bag, it reduces the price we have to pay for each bag,” said Mitch Kielb of the HSC Bookstore.

Richard Boardman of VCB said, “I think it is a good deal for students. We are helping to promote it.”

Visa and MasterCard offer special deals for students, such as low percentage rates and no annual fee.

Said one Visa representative, “Sometimes cosigner’s are not even needed to obtain a credit card.”

In order for a student to be accepted by Visa they must meet Visa’s guidelines of credit history, current income and debt history.

“We have no minimum requirements. It is a combination of all three that is taken into consideration,” said Linda, a Visa representative.

Visa also protects itself from students that abuse their credit card by setting their limits at a low amount, she added.

“My limit started around $800, but I have never got it up that high,” said Michael Whitaker, senior political science major.

Sophomore finance major Mark Magajne said, “I only use my credit card when I’m too lazy to bring cash. I’m very responsible with it.”

“I have three credit cards: Marshall Field’s, MasterCard, and Visa,” said Jennifer VanDreese, a junior psychology major.

“On all of these cards I owe a lot of money,” she said.