Profs. publish, not perish

By Dana Billick

Many professors at NIU are accomplished authors who might be unknown to students.

Lucien Stryk, a retired professor of poetry writing and Asian literature at NIU, began writing when he was 17 and has had 30 books published since, not to mention numerous articles for literary publications.

Stryk said he was inspired by a high school teacher. “She said she thought I was good at writing poetry.”

His writing centers around three areas: original poetry, translated poetry about Buddhism and Asian literature and the editing of anthologies. Currently, Stryk said he is “working on editing an anthology for the Illinois Arts Council entitled “Great Poems of the English Language.” I’m very excited about it.”

Most of Stryk’s work is featured in the book, “Collected Poems.” Other works include “Zen Poems of China and Japan,” “The Duckpond” and “World of the Buddha.” His most recent publication is “The Dumpling Field: Haiku of Issa.”

Stryk will give a poetry reading based on his new book on Oct. 8, at 8:30 p.m. in the Weslyan Center. The event is sponsored by the Honors program.

Political science Professor Irene Rubin currently is working on her eighth book concerning government and public administration.

Rubin began her writing career in 1973 with articles concerning political science and had her first book published on the subject in 1980. Two main themes in her work include federal budgeting and finance. Some of Rubin’s work includes the books “Shrinking the Federal Government” and “Running in the Red.”

Rubin said these two topics are closely tied together and enjoys debating the issues that arise concerning community organization and development as well as the roll of citizens in society. “I try to incorporate these things in my class in order to get the students thinking and motivated.”

Questions that are discussed in her class as well as her books include such things as “Why do people revolt against taxes, or why don’t they? Why do they pay their taxes with so little question?”

W. Bruce Lincoln has had nine books published since his first in 1977. The topic of Lincoln’s work is Russian history of which he is a professor at NIU. “I don’t have the time to teach other classes. This is a popular subject, especially right now,” he said.

Lincoln has been writing for about 25 to 30 years and began with articles published in magazines and for universities.

Some of Lincoln’s work includes “The Great Reforms,” “In Wars Dark Shadow,” “Nicholas I,” and “Red Victory.”