NIU Athletics Hall of Famer Mark Kellar dies at 71

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
A headshot of NIU Athletics Hall of Famer Mark Kellar. Kellar, a former NIU football fullback, ranks fourth in NIU history in rushing yards and sixth in rushing touchdowns. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

Mark Kellar, legendary NIU fullback and 1973 NCAA rushing champion, died at the age of 71 on Tuesday in Minneapolis.

The “Carpentersville Crusher,” named after his hometown, was elected to the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1983. Kellar’s number 31 is one of four jersey numbers retired by NIU football.

In 31 career games, Kellar is fourth in NIU history in rushing yards with 3,745 and sixth in rushing touchdowns with 32.

Among all NIU fullbacks, Kellar ranks first in carries and yards in a single game, a single season and a career.

Kellar was the 18th player in major-college (now known as FBS) history to reach 3,000 career yards.

Kellar was drafted by both the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League and the Chicago Fire of the World Football League. Kellar set single season franchise records for yards and scoring for the Fire before playing three seasons with the Vikings.

Mark Kellar’s brother, Scott Kellar, followed in his older brother’s footsteps at NIU, earning his way to the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame as well. Scott Kellar ranked fourth in NIU history in tackles for loss (47) and recorded 298 tackles in his three years in a Huskie uniform. He was inducted into the NIU Athletics Hall of fame in 1993.

Kellar is survived by his daughters Marcella (Brandon) Ward, Grace Kellar and Meagan Kellar, siblings Dawn Kellar McCoy and Scott (Dana) Kellar, and is also survived by nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends.

A memorial service will be held on Friday, Dec. 1 at Washburn-McReavy Edina Chapel in Edina, Minnesota at 2 p.m. with visitation starting at 1 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, the Kellar family requests memorial donations be made to the Alzheimer’s Association of Minnesota and North Dakota.