Playing without Pride: Hockey embarrassed by Purdue Northwest

Pride demolish Huskies in Hammond
Courtesy NIU Hockey
Freshman forward Walker Smith shoots the puck during warmups prior to NIU Hockey’s game against Arizona State on Nov. 19. The Huskies were blown out by Purdue University Northwest by a final score of 14-2 on Friday. (Courtesy of NIU Hockey)

HAMMOND – Pure destruction, annihilation and embarrassment were the words of the day in Hammond, Indiana, Friday. NIU Hockey (1-17-2) was utterly dismantled by Purdue University Northwest (15-5, 7-4 GLCHL) by a final score of 14-2. 

A heroic 3-goal, 7-point performance from sophomore center Andrew Remer helped the Pride put up the most goals scored against the Huskies – previously 13 against the University of Jamestown. 

FLATLINE START

The Huskies came out of the locker room flat, giving up a quartet of PNW tallies to fall behind 4-0 after 20 minutes. 

Freshman forward Robbie Zimmerman criticized the team’s preparation for Friday’s game. 

“I think we weren’t prepared,” Zimmerman said. “We knew they were a good team and we gave them too much respect off the bat, and they took advantage of getting that respect and that space that they had.” 

Coming out of the Thanksgiving break, freshman forward Walker Smith said the team’s energy just wasn’t where it needed to be. 

“We had low energy,” Smith said. “Not expecting to be what they were. We just got caught on the back foot and were in a hole early, and we’re digging out of it the whole game.”

NO DISADVANTAGE

The Huskie power play was embarrassed by the Pride’s penalty kill, as NIU gave up two shorthanded goals.

Zimmerman gave credit to PNW’s aggressive penalty killing unit but stressed his team’s power play can’t get caught flat-footed. 

“They have a good kill,” Zimmerman said. “They’re a solid team and they’re fast. When they send it the length of the ice, maybe we’re a little flat on the back. They can move that puck and score.” 

Smith said once his team lost possession, PNW had too easy a time taking advantage. 

“We were kind of running around too much,” Smith said. “They’re moving the puck really well but we were just doing a lot of running around, chasing, and it just led to some good shot opportunities.”

REMATCH FOR PRIDE

The Huskies have another shot at PNW on Saturday to close out the home-and-home series.

Zimmerman laid out the path to a more respectable outcome.

“Come out faster,” Zimmerman said. “Don’t give them the respect. Get it in deep, get grimy like I always say, and I think we can wear them down.”

The Huskies and the Pride meet at 8 p.m. Saturday at Canlan Ice Sports in West Dundee. 

The game will be streamed on the NIU Hockey YouTube channel.