Outdoors program offers adventures

By Sheryl Cajka

Students seeking relaxation, outdoor appreciation or excitement need to look no further than NIU’s own adventuring trip program.

The Office of Campus Recreation Outdoors program provides trips which are organized to meet the needs of NIU students, said Outdoor Coordinator Ashley Sweda. Trips include high adventures such as kayaking and rock climbing to quieter adventures like star gazing or a stroll in a park.

The adventures are designed for beginners, then divided into groups according to experience, Sweda said. Each trip includes transportation and an experienced student leader, he said.

Students, faculty or staff interested in planning and carrying out trips can get help from the staff at the Outing Center, Sweda said.

In addition to registering for adventure trips, the center offers information on equipment rental, area facilities and personal safety, he said.

OCR Outdoors also sponsors a trip leaders program. Individuals can learn how to organize and lead safe, exciting and educational outdoor adventures, Sweda said.

The program is always looking for experienced trip leaders and provides an excellent opportunity to improve outdoor skills, he said.

“In the last two years it (OCR Outdoors) has grown beyond imagination,” Sweda said, adding that he advises people to take advantage of the opportunity and sign up for the trips.

Sweda also said he wants to open students’ eyes to the various adventure opportunities of college life before they graduate.

Since OCR Outdoors is funded by the Student Association, students are only required to pay a minimal fee for trips, he said.

The OCR Outdoors will sponsor a backpacking trip through the Grand Canyon during the Christmas vacation this year, he said.

Some other adventures OCR Outdoors offers include canoeing, horseback riding, exploring caves and bike trips.