Computer usage made affordable

By Rebecca Keener

Students who don’t have their own computer can still join the computer age by using NIU’s computers.

NIU charges $40 per semester to each student for the use of its computer facilities.

This fee includes software, use of the printer, supervisors, assistants, paper and a support staff that replaces broken computers.

“Granted, our facilities are not as convenient as having your own PC on your desk, but if you pay $40 per semester for ten semesters that is $400. You would be hard pressed to buy a computer and the software you need for that amount,” said Michael Prais, director of academic computing services.

For NIU to buy a computer, it costs around $2,000, Prais said. NIU has at least $6 million in computer equipment, Prais said.

Even though NIU has sunk a lot of money into its computers and facilities, the computers are not insured against theft.

“We have computers locked down, alarm systems and an attendant there at all times, but because NIU is self-insured, we cannot insure the computers,” said Prais.

The oldest computers NIU has are eight years old and some are only a few months old.

“The older computers tend to break down more,” he said. “When we buy new computers, we buy ones that are of good quality that are not necessarily the cheapest.”

“We also have expanded our staff to handle the breakdowns,” he said.

Prais also would like to buy new computers for the Graham Hall and Stevens Building labs, but student fees are not enough to cover the replacing of a computer.

“We would like to replace them—but just because they’re older,” he said. “It isn’t really a good enough reason.”

Prais also cautions about the wait some students experience.

“Again that would be a really nice time to have your own computer, because as a common facility, some students may have to wait in line,” he said. “Generally, we don’t have a problem with that until the last couple of weeks in the semester.”