Study abroad cruise available for NIU students

Suite Life on Deck for a not-so-sweet paycheck
Sofia Didenko
TJ Hill, the regional director of Semester at Sea, sits at an informational desk at the Holmes Student Center on Thursday. Semester at Sea is a program that offers students a study abroad experience that visits many countries while taking classes on a cruise ship. (Sofia Didenko | Northern Star)

DeKALB Students living on a floating campus navigate through homework as well as the ocean, reflecting on the iconic teen show “Suite Life on Deck.” 

Anticipation of a far-away destination lingers as about 600 young travelers take on the open sea and experience a week-long visit to over 10 countries, all while earning 12-15 credit hours. The ship offers classes for business, social science, art, engineering majors and others. 

This unique experience is part of the Semester at Sea program, a close to 100-day multi-cultural study abroad opportunity on a cruise ship. College and graduate school students not only attend classes while the ship is sailing, but also enjoy amenities such as a pool, gym, grill and social events. 

“While you are in each port, you typically are free to get off the ship and spend about a week in each place,” said TJ Hill, the regional director of Semester at Sea. 

During this time, students are not expected to attend classes and are encouraged to immerse themselves in a new culture with their classmates. 

Leaving their crewmates behind, students have the option to plan their own schedules or purchase add-on trips and experiences through the program which can range from $20-$200. 

Hill was a participant of Semester at Sea in 2017.

“If I wanted to go scuba diving, it was cool having that facilitation, I feel like that added a scene of safety,” Hill said. 

Hill fondly recalls meeting some of his bestfriends on the ship.

“The best part of my experience was actually the ship or community. Some of my best friends that I have to this day, I met on that ship,” Hill said. “For example, my roommate who I met, I was his best man at his wedding last year.” 

Semester at Sea stands out as an epic trip for anyone who wants to experience immersive learning and new cultures. It offers a community of people who will be there every step of the way. 

However, with a price tag of about $30,000 for standard inclusions like room and board, tuition, internet connection, international health insurance and a fuel fee, the trip may seem daunting for a student at NIU, a university known for its generous financial aid and affordable tuition. 

The average in-state student pays about $13,000 per semester at NIU, according to NIU’s undergraduate admissions

Through the $17,000 dollar price difference of a semester at sea and a semester at NIU, one can see how this unique study abroad quest may not be a sustainable option for many students.  

Semester at Sea does, however, accept all federal grants and scholarships. During the spring 2023 semester, 305 students received about $2.85 million in financial aid, according to SAS’s website.

For the fall 2024 semester, admitted students must fly to Amsterdam, Netherlands, where they will make the voyage through Portugal, Morocco, Ghana, South Africa, Mauritius, India, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Thailand where they will disembark, according to Hill. 

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and can be completed on the SAS website