Enrollment fell in summertime

By Eric Krol

Although the number of students attending classes this summer rose at the two other Regency universities, NIU saw a slight decrease in enrollment.

The September Chancellor’s report shows the number of students attending the summer session at the NIU campus decreased from 7,561 last summer to 7,498 this summer.

However, the number of students on campus this summer at the other two Board of Regents schools, Illinois State University in Normal and Springfield’s Sangamon State University, increased slightly.

ISU’s enrollment went from 7,080 in 1990 to 7,208 this summer, while SSU figures increased from 1,527 to 1,584 over the one-year period.

The report states summer enrollments were generally higher across the country this summer because of the continuing recession.

At last week’s Regents meeting, Chancellor Roderick Groves said, “It certainly indicates a linkage to the economic conditions we’re suffering through at this time.”

The Chancellor’s report shows NIU’s decrease came from a drop in the number of freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

However, the number of seniors rose from 2,474 in 1990 to 2,743 this summer.

Director of Institutional Research Nick Noe said most of NIU’s summer enrollment comes from continuing students, especially seniors.

The number of students in the summer session depends on the student levels in the spring, Noe said.

The ISU increase was evenly divided among undergraduate and graduate students.

SSU’s jump came from graduate enrollment. SSU is a senior institution for upperclassmen and graduate students only.

NIU did show an increase in the number of graduate students.

Graduate student figures rose from 3,410 to 3,480.

Noe said teachers pursuing graduate work in the summer generally contribute to the increase.

The report also stated enrollment has not changed much at NIU over a five-year period. However, the numbers at ISU and SSU are at their highest levels since 1986.