Women’s tennis goes 1-1 in Chicago area road trip

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Sophomore Isabella Righi sets up her serve in an NIU women’s tennis home meet. Righi won her match against Chicago State sophomore Amina Taibi 6-2, 6-4 as women’s tennis defeated the Cougars 4-3 Sunday. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

Splitting the day on Sunday, NIU women’s tennis (6-5) pulled out a 4-3 win against Chicago State University, before losing to Northwestern University 4-0. 

In contrast to the Huskies’ past success in doubles, they did not win a doubles match against Chicago State. 

Senior Diana Lukyanova and sophomore Isabella Righi were defeated in a 6-1 set against Chicago State sophomore Ethel Li and junior Sofiya Sedovich. Junior Reagan Welch and sophomore Jenna Horne lost in a 6-2 set to graduate student Katarina Dukic and sophomore Amina Taibi. 

In another unfinished match for the duo, junior Erika Dimitriev and sophomore Nataly Ninova were down 5-1 against junior Manuella Eloundou and freshmen Nia Cooper at the conclusion of the match. 

The Huskies were able to pull out a win after victory in four singles matches, which gave them the edge over Chicago State. 

One of the two losses for NIU came when Li defeated Welch in 7-5 and 6-2 sets. Ninova also dropped her singles match, Eloundou, 6-1, 7-6 (7-3). 

In 6-4 and 6-3 sets, Dimitriev bested Sedovich. Righi defeated Taibi in two sets, 6-2 and 6-4. In three sets, Horne fought for the 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory against Cooper. 

In the win that clinched the victory for NIU, Lukyanova defeated Dukic in  7-5, 6-7 (3-7) and 6-3 sets. 

The Huskies then traveled to Evanston, where they were swept by Northwestern. 

In another unfinished match, Dimitriev and Ninova were fighting in a close 4-3 match against junior Justine Leong and freshman Neena Feldman when the match ended. 

In a tough loss for NIU, Lukyanova and Righi lost to junior Sydney Pratt and graduate student Christina Hand in a 6-1 set. Not winning a game, Welch and senior Anastasia Rakita were defeated 6-0 by graduate student Britany Lau and senior Maria Susharina. 

Singles did not fare much better for the Huskies, with three matches going unfinished and the other three being losses. 

Righi was down 6-2, 3-2 against Pratt when their match was unfinished. At the conclusion of Welch’s match against junior Kiley Rabjohns, the score was in Rabjohns’ favor 6-3, 0-4. Dimitriev and Leong’s match was ruled incomplete with a 6-1, 3-2 score. 

In two sets, Horne lost to sophomore Jennifer Riester 6-2, 6-1. Ninova was bested 6-1, 6-3 by Shusharina. Junior Angelica Ross was beaten in 6-0, 6-1 sets by Lau. 

The Huskies continue on the road at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Valpo Tennis Complex in Valparaiso, Indiana against Valparaiso University.