Building accessibility to improve

By Bill Schwingel

Students with disabilities will be able to bust a move in Gabel Hall, which is included in a number of projects making more campus buildings handicapped- accessible.

About $19,000 of $400,000 designated for handicap accessibility is being used for ramps and doors to the Gabel Hall dance studio. The studio is used for dance classes that include a student-choreographed production and an instructor-choreographed production.

Pat Hewitt, associate vice president for Business and Operations, said the money for the projects has already been budgeted and won’t be a strain to the tight economy.

State law mandates that a modified building meet code specifications, including handicap accessibility, Hewitt said.

Linn Sorge, coordinator for Students with Disabilities, said disabled students might go to a recital or performance and some students with limited mobility could use an exercise class if it is offered.

Some other projects include $20,000 for accessible restrooms in the parking building, Adams Hall and University Resources for Women; an exterior ramp for University Resources for Women at $17,600; automatic doors at the Speech and Hearing Clinic for $19,400, and a $14,700 chair-lift at McMurray Hall.