‘Borderlands,’ from the game screen to the movie screen

Courtesy of YouTube
A group of people look down a hole in a scene from the “Borderlands” trailer. The film will release Aug. 9 and stars Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart among other big stars. (Courtesy of YouTube)

You may have heard of “Borderlands” from the video game, but get ready to see it on the big screen. If not, whether you’re into action, adventure, comedy, sci-fi or thriller, “Borderlands” has you covered. 

Cate Blanchett as Lilith, Kevin Hart as Roland, Jack Black as Claptrap, Jamie Lee Curtis as Dr. Tannis, Florian Munteanu as Krieg and Ariana Greenblatt as Tiny Tina all star in the film.

“Borderlands” is a video game that was first released in 2009 available for Xbox, Playstation, Mac and Microsoft Windows. There have been more games in its series release as well as mobile games, DLC and a VR game.

The game takes place on a planet called Pandora and is said to be a lawless planet which drew the attention of many when rumors started going around of a vault filled with treasures.

The treasures attracted mercenaries also known as vault hunters – rightfully so.

The movie is based on the game, and if you have never heard of the game but would like to know more, try watching IGN’s Borderlands in 5 minutes.

If you have time and you’d like to play the game, it is available for multiple platforms on Amazon and GameStop.

Fans can be optimistic for the movie as Borderlands is no stranger to success with over 81 million copies sold for the entire series, according to Exputer

In the trailer, fans can spot other surprise guests like Bobby Lee and find other easter eggs.

The film is directed by Eli Roth who has directed other films such as “Thanksgiving” in 2023 and “Knock Knock” in 2015.

Roth has over 10 nominations and 18 wins, winning Best Horror Film Director at the iHorror Awards in 2016 for “The Green Inferno,” and is nominated for Best Director in 2024 for “Thanksgiving” for the Golden Scythe Horror Awards. 

The budget for the film is listed as $100 million. Fans can anticipate the movie to be 1 hour and 42 minutes, as specified by IMDb on its FAQ page.

Borderlands posted a tweet with a photo of the release date on X last summer and is expected to come out Aug. 9.