City Council to hold a public hearing

The DeKalb Public Library sign sits outside at night with lights shining on it. At 6 p.m. on April 22, City Council will hold a public hearing for the 2024 Second Draft Annual Action Plan. (Northern Star file photo)

DeKALB – On April 22 the City of DeKalb will have a public hearing of the 2024 Second Draft Annual Action Plan, where the City of DeKalb is expected to receive $400,00 in funds for the Community Development Block Grant.

The CDBG receives funding from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. This program looks to provide affordable housing and economic and community opportunities for low and moderate income residents of DeKalb. 

The program year 2024 for the CDBG is from 2024 April 1 to March 31, 2025.

According to the Second Draft Annual Plan for 2024, programs supporting the improvement of neighborhoods are important to the overall health of the city. 

“The city has a long history of successfully funded housing renovations targeting low income households and seniors who cannot maintain adequate housing,” the Second Draft Annual Plan states. “The city continues to address blighted and vacant properties through demolition activities and leverages these programs with grants through the Illinois Housing Development Authority.”

The funds will be used to go to priority needs including, homelessness, housing and other special needs such as public facilities, community development, economic development, administration, planning and management.

“These plans are strategic plans for the implementation of the City’s Federal Programs for housing, community, and economic development/microenterprise within the City of DeKalb,” according to the plan. 

The Second Draft Annual Plan for 2024 is now available on the City of DeKalb website. The plan is also available in print at the Community Development Department and main lobby of DeKalb City Hall located at 164 E. Lincoln Highway and the DeKalb Public Library on 309 Oak Street.

All interested citizens are invited to submit written comments by 5:00 p.m. on April 22. Please address all comments to, Jennifer Yochem, community services coordinator, [email protected]

DeKalb citizens are invited to attend and give input on the 2024 Second Draft Annual Action Plan at the Public Hearing during the City Council meeting at 6:00 p.m. on April 22 in the Yusunas Room of the DeKalb Public Library at 309 Oak Street.