Research honesty questioned by UC

By Michael McCulloh

Research integrity at NIU will likely be one of the main issues of discussion at today’s University Council meeting, a spokesman said.

“I would assume there will be a final vote on the research document, so I don’t know if it will have a great amount of discussion,” said J. Carroll Moody, executive president of the UC.

“Research integrity” is an interim policy installed by NIU President John La Tourette. Federal agencies who dole out money for research want the policy to combat money given for falsified research.

The guidelines designed to regulate students, faculty and staff from research misconduct include keeping clear records of research and maintaining records of development on research development.

The Graduate Council approved a version of the document last May and the document was assigned to Committee C of the UC, where it was revised.

UC member Curt Stein said the research integrity guidelines would overlap with the student judicial code and that students would have their misconduct placed on their transcripts. However, Graduate School Dean Jerrold Zar refuted Stein’s comments.

Previous meetings attempted to clarify differences between the Graduate Council and Committee C.

Other issues of interest that will be brought up at today’s meeting include a report about academic freedom and expression that will bring about discussion about artistic expression and its relationship to NIU’s constitution.

Class withdrawal policies for off-campus courses are also among the information that will be discussed.