Northern Star Treasure Hunt’s third clue announced

Totus Tuus Keely
The Northern Star paperweight sits on a table in Founders Memorial Library. The Northern Star treasure hunt will begin April 8. (Totus Tuus Keely | Northern Star)

Editor’s note: This article will be updated daily from April 8 to April 12 to include the latest treasure hunt clues.

The Northern Star’s annual spring treasure hunt will begin Monday. Look for the Northern Star paperweight somewhere on campus. If found, bring it to the Northern Star’s office – Peter’s Campus Life Building, Suite 130 – to collect a prize valued over $400.

The Northern Star will release one clue per day from Monday, April 8 to Friday, April 12 to help participants find the acrylic paperweight.

The paperweight will be outside on NIU’s campus. Participants will not need to climb, go into water or dig anything up. The labeled weight will not be on private property. 

CLUES

Clue one – Monday

“Last year was hard, so I’ll give you a break.

Search west of NIU’s Glidden to find the weight.”

Clue two – Tuesday

Once upon a time, two siblings and their one dog, Rufus, spent a fortnight camping in the woods. 

Rufus was snatched, though the siblings didn’t know by whom. 

While searching for Rufus, they found a clue. On the ground was a mitre inscribed with the name “Pope Benedict XV.”

The perp was then spotted on Fourteenth Street when a citizen noticed Rufus’ head sticking out the window.

When the cops brought the dognapper in, the Pope pleaded the fifth. He had met the thief, posing as animal rescue the day afore.”

I’m counting on you to know your ABCs.

Clue three – Wednesday

Follow my directions: Ring it out of the park, but toward the fall season. Don’t scare any alum with your exploration.

PRIZES

The first person to find the paperweight and bring it to the Northern Star’s office will be named the treasure hunt winner and collect prizes donated from businesses and organizations around DeKalb. 

All prizes for the treasure hunt have been donated by: Vinny’s Pizza, NIU Foundation, Fatty’s Pub & Grille, Texas Roadhouse, Pittsley Realty, FNBO, Rosita’s Mexican Restaurant, Cast Iron, Huskie Books & Gear and other various items anonymously donated.