Ombudsman position discussed at meeting

By Tricia Roegner

All they are looking for is a good ombudsman.

The Ombudsman Search Committee has narrowed the number of candidates down to three qualifiers for the position of NIU ombudsman. The future ombudsman is scheduled to begin his or her term on June 1, 1991.

Students were able to voice questions and concerns on the ombudsman position yesterday at a well-attended meeting held in the Holmes Student Center’s University Suite. Student representatives from groups such as NIU’s Student Association and different minority groups were invited to attend.

“All the meetings so far have been well planned and according to schedule,” said Ken Beasley, an assistant to NIU President John La Tourette concerning Governmental Relations and a member of the search committee.

The search committee was first established last summer, when former ombudsman Bertrand Simpson took the job of professor in NIU’s College of Business. NIU President John La Tourette named Stacy Dolby as interim ombudsperson for the 1990-91 school year while the search was being run. A total of 94 applicants from across the country applied, and the committee has now chosen three final candidates.

“The search has been a real success,” said Jordan Kagan, NIU sophomore and one of the student members of the committee. “We are really pleased with the large number of candidates that applied and the quality of candidates.”

The three final candidates are Suzanne Belson from Concordia College in Canada, Tim Griffin from Ohio State, and NIU interim ombudsperson Stacy Dolby. These candidates are scheduled to be interviewed in the next two weeks which will result in a final recommendation to President La Tourette.