Tugs dynasty grows: Sigma Nu completes 4-peat

Totus Tuus Keely
Sigma Nu celebrates first place for the 2024 Tugs season. Sigma Nu has earned first place in the past four Tugs championships. (Totus Tuus Keely | Northern Star)

Editor’s note: This piece has been updated to clarify that Sigma Nu has won three consecutive Tugs championships prior to this year, as the IFC did not sanction a Tugs championship in 2021 due to COVID-19.

DeKALB – No. 1 Sigma Nu defeated No. 2 Phi Sigma Kappa to win the 2024 Interfraternity Council Tugs men’s championship on Saturday.

With the win, Sigma Nu etched its name in IFC history as the second fraternity to win four consecutive Tugs championships. Pi Kappa Alpha first completed the feat, winning 9 straight championships from 1986-1994.

HARD FOUGHT MATCH

Sigma Nu outlasted Phi Sigma Kappa in three ropes Saturday. The top-seeded fraternity was unable to induce a forfeit in each of the first two rounds, but won both via time.

Ropes 1 and 2 were back-and-forth affairs, but Sigma Nu pulled away late in each of the first two rounds.

After more than 40 minutes of action in Rope 3, Sigma Nu pulled the center-rope marker all the way to its second trench with little to no resistance.

Phi Sigs’ anchor had almost no rope left, forcing Phi Sigma Kappa’s caller to step on the rope to end the match.

Sigma Nu caller and senior finance major Landon Larkin highlighted patience as the key to his fraternity’s victory.

“Being patient, even when they (Phi Sigma Kappa) were trying to stall,” Larkin said. “We kept our head and kept the mental game, so I’m proud of the boys for that.”

DISPUTED HISTORY

Sigma Nu supporters and alums chanted “Four-peat! Four-peat!” on the sidelines of the Tugs championship Saturday.

Phi Sigma Kappa claimed a disputed Tugs title in 2021 amidst a COVID-stricken tournament. However, the IFC does not recognize Phi Sigma Kappa’s unsanctioned 2021 victory, making Sigma Nu the second fraternity in Tugs history to win four consecutive championships.