Council makes decision on Code debate

By Lisa Ferro

The University Council unanimously approved giving the UC executive secretary, under certain conditions, the power to pass judicial code changes to the UC for review Wednesday.

The UC’s Rules and Governance Committee recommended clarification of the word “through” found in the phrase, “The (University Judicial Advisory) board shall recommend changes to the president through the UC and the vice president for Student Affairs,” in the committees book.

The committee’s interpretation states that changes to the code recommended by the University Judicial Advisory Board be sent to the executive secretary of the UC, who determines if they be sent to the UC based on three criteria:

If the recommendations concern academic misconduct, they must go to the UC for advice.

If the recommendations concern a Committees book change, they must be approved by the UC.

Other recommendations considered substantial, not merely editorial, should be reviewed by the UC in an advisory capacity, if the executive secretary feels that a review is warranted.

UC’s Rules and Governance Committee recommended the UC make a clarification in the committees book rather change the constitution allowing UC power to approve and amend the Student Judicial Code.

A memo regarding the last committee meeting written by Norman Magden, chair of the rules and governance committee, to the UC executive secretary stated that the committee also discussed the possibility of having the UC monitor academic conduct portions of the code.

Student Association Campus Welfare Adviser Curt Stein said he disagreed with the statement. He said, according to the Board of Regents’ Governance Documents, students, in consultation with faculty and administrative representatives, have the power to develop and implement a student code, including disciplinary cases.