STC informs students

By Rebecca Keener

Students interested in getting into editing, graphing or creating instruction manuals should think about joining the NIU Society for Technical Communication.

“STC is an international organization that has around 15,000 members and is devoted to informing students of possible careers and job contacts in the field of technical communication,” said Christine Barabas, head of the STC chapter at NIU.

The organization does not limit members to only those who are majoring or minoring in English.

Members consist mostly of seniors and graduate students because it is a great way to make contacts, but the group would like to recruit more undergraduates, said Barabas.

The organization has 30-35 members that attend the monthly meetings. The meetings consist primarily of speakers, Barabas said.

Today, the group’s meeting will feature freelance writer David Hammond. He will speak about his career in freelance writing, focusing on how to start and the business aspects of freelancing. The meeting is in Reavis Hall Room 211 at 4:30 p.m.

STC also puts out a newsletter once a year called TechView. This allows students a chance to get the feel of being able to write, edit and produce their own newsletter. The newsletter is eight pages and is mostly about the speakers that were at its meetings.