Research proposal debated

By Lisa Ferro and Michael McCulloh

A controversial proposal about research integrity at NIU was disputed last week before the University Council because some members feel the policy shouldn’t apply to students.

“Research integrity” is an interim policy installed by NIU President John La Tourette. Federal agencies who dole out money for research want the policy to combat money given for falsified research said UC Executive Secretary J. Carroll Moody.

UC member Curt Stein said he thinks the research integrity document shouldn’t be applied to students because it would overlap the Student Judicial Code.

“We already have a Student Judicial Code. Why can’t we put everything in (it)?” Stein asked. “All of the charges are the same charges, as in academic misconduct.”

Stein said Alan Price, a senior scientist at the office of scientific integrity at the National Health Service in Bethesda, Md., agrees.

“Dr. Price said that as long as the Student Judicial Code follows federal guidelines for misconduct, it is fine,” Stein said.

Stein added penalized faculty members would have their files placed in a confidential file, while students would get any misconduct stamped on their transcripts.

However, Graduate School Dean Jerrold Zar said “there’s absolutely nothing on this proposal that refers to transcripts.”

Zar said there are federal guidelines NIU must follow and most deal with issues not covered in the Student Judicial Code. “There may be a little overlap, but the way you research is not in federal guidelines,” Zar said.

“One document would be handy (and) you could tell federal agencies these were in place,” he said.

The guidelines to regulate students, faculty and staff from research misconduct include keeping clear, accurate and timely records of all significant research and maintaining a record of the research development.

The Graduate Council approved a version of the document last May and the document was assigned to Committee C, where it was revised. “There are still differences between the Graduate Council and Committee C, but there will probably be continuing conversations,” Moody said.

Committee C will meet Friday at 11 a.m. in Zulauf 1015 to discuss the issue further.