NIU board might change

By Greg Rivara

NIU could get its own governing board or be lumped with the state’s education board under two different bills introduced in the Illinois House last week.

One bill would create a board of trustees for NIU and give it the power to borrow money and issue bonds. Rep. E.J. “Zeke” Giorgi, D-Rockford, introduced the bill.

The other bill would abolish the Board of Regents and the Board of Governors. That bill, sponsored by Rep. Michael Weaver, R-Mattoon, would take the schools under the BOR and the BOG and place them with the Illinois Board of Higher Education.

Both bills, if enacted, would take effect July 1. The Regents govern NIU, Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

The BOG governs Chicago State University in Chicago, Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Governors State University in Chicago, Northeastern Illinois University in Chicago and Western Illinois University in Macomb.

The Student Association historically has supported a separate board, provided a student could vote as a member. SA President Robert McCormack said he is talking with his staff and Student Regent James Mertes before telling the Illinois Student Association to lobby for the bills’ passage or defeat.

McCormack also asked President John La Tourette to report NIU’s position on the bills at the next University Council meeting slated for May 1.

Abolishing the Regents and the Governor systems and placing the member schools with the IBHE is new. But NIU’s quest for its own board has a long history. The closest NIU came to a separate board is arguably 1949, the only time such a bill reached the governor’s desk.

One of the biggest arguments for creating a new NIU board is that it needs one. NIU has outgrown ISU and far outdistances SSU in scope and size, supporters claim.

Opponents counter that a board for NIU would start a mad rush for boards by other universities. Another board would cost more tax money and not ensure NIU more money from the state, a claim separate board proponents refute.

Past supporters of the bill include: Sen. Patrick Welch, D-Peru, former Rep. John Countryman, R-DeKalb, Rep. Richard Mautino, D-Spring Valley, the DeKalb County Farm Bureau and Giorgi.

Past opponents include Regent Chancellor Roderick Groves and Senate President Phil Rock, D-Oak Park.

NIU officials historically have stayed out of publicly leaning one way or another. However, in 1987, La Tourette said he opposed the bill, while others claimed La Tourette really wanted a separate board but was pushed into public opposition.