Survey reveals happy students

By Lisa Ferro

If NIU students had to do it all over again, most said they would enroll at NIU, a recent survey stated.

The survey also said NIU students like the quality of their education and NIU’s nonacademic services.

These results come from research done in February by Beldon associates Marketing Research Firm exclusively for The Northern Star. Three hundred and fifty-four students were chosen randomly for the survey sample.

One of the questions asked, “Using the letter grades, A, B, C or D, what grade would you give the quality of education you’ve received so far at NIU?” Almost 90 percent of the students gave the quality of education an ‘A’ or a ‘B.’

NIU Provost Kendall Baker said the large percentage of pleased students is a clear endorsement of what is offered at NIU and a reinforcing message from them.

Baker was not too concerned about the minority who were not entirely pleased with NIU’s quality.

“People can be less than altogether happy with their programs for all sorts of reasons,” Baker said. “There are always going to be people who are less than satisfied.”

Another question asked by the research firm was, “Using the letter grades, A, B, C or D, what grade would you give the quality of nonacademic services provided you by the university?” The question refers to all nonacademic services, including health services, housing, parking, programming and the library. About 64 percent answered ‘A’ or ‘B’ to this question.

Programming and Activities Adviser Michelle Emmett said she was pleasantly surprised by the response, but said her department is a small share of nonacademic services.

“I think we have a pulse on what people like and don’t like,” Emmett said.

She said concerns about the age and cultural diversity of NIU students have been drawn to the university’s attention. For example, the name ‘Parents Weekend’ has been changed to ‘Parents and Family Weekend’ in response to the number of older students who have families of their own.

Services are part of the academic experience and it’s hard to separate them, Emmett said. “Academics are the primary reasons we are here,” Emmett said. “But what happens outside the class affects the quality of education we have.”

Another question stated, “If you could do it all over again, would you enroll at NIU?” Almost 81 percent said they would.

“I’d have to assume they have to be pleased with both their programming and living within this environment,” said Admissions Director Daniel Oborn.

Oborn said in order to understand students’ responses, you need to know why they responded the way they did.