Search committee to be formed

By Michael McCulloh

Students will make up a majority of a search committee choosing a recreation center director, the University Council decided Wednesday.

A student proposal calling for a search committee comprised of five student representatives and four faculty representatives was passed in lieu of two proposals asking for a faculty majority.

The committee was set up to find a replacement for Betty Montgomery, director of the Office of Campus Recreation, who announced last week she is leaving her post.

The first recommendation by Barbara Henley, vice president for Student Affairs, called for a search committee composed of a majority of administration and faculty with only two student representatives. Her other proposal called for three students on the search committee.

Student Association President Rob McCormack and SA Recreation Chairman Jodie English of the University Council, pushed for the alternate proposal.

McCormack referred to a copy of the original 1980 document outlining OCR policies and said Section 4 states search committees must have student majorities.

“When you look at this agreement, students wanted input on who ran the OCR and that position is still held today,” McCormack said. “We would like a majority of students on search committees, because a majority use the rec center.”

English said the OCR is not an academic building, but recreation. “It’s a student building. We run it. Let us direct it,” she said.

Henley cited Section 17.36 of the NIU constitution, which states the SA shall be consulted in a search for an appointment.

However, Graduate School Dean Jerrold Zar also quoted the constitution, from Section 17.41, which says “a search committee shall be conducted by a committee containing representation from appropriate constituencies served by the position being filled,” and supported the student initiative.

The student majority search committee proposal was overwhelmingly approved.

Montgomery, who has worked at NIU for 24 years, is paid $48,480 per year.