FAF information offered

By Jean Dobrzynski

Students having trouble filling out 1991-92 financial aid forms have one more chance to get answers to their questions.

Tonight is the last night NIU students can attend the presentation of basic financial aid form information at 7:30 p.m. in Room 506 of the Holmes Student Center. The first 30 minutes is a brief presentation by a NIU financial aid counselor. General questions from the audience will be taken until 9 p.m.

The presentations cover information on the basic types of aid, how to apply for it and the different scholarships that are available.

“Basically, in my presentations I describe how the whole system works—basically what goes where and why,” said Donna Martin, financial aid counselor. “I try to alert them to common errors they should look out for.

“Unfortunately, the most common questions that come from students these days are how to fill out the forms when they come from divorced or separated homes,” she said.

Martin said other frequently asked questions are from students who want to know how to claim they are independent, and students close to graduating wanting aid for graduate school.

“There are a lot of myths going around about students who want to claim they are independent. The whole process is very complicated,” Martin said.

FAFs will be distributed until Friday at the west end of the Pow Wow from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Tables will be set up in the residence halls Feb. 11 to 14 and Feb. 18 to 21 to hand out 91-92 FAFs from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

“If we get a group of students around the tables who are interested, we will give 15 minute presentations every half_hour,” Martin said.