Obstacles impede college improvement

By Michael McCulloh

A former dean of the College of Continuing Education says seven obstacles stand in the way of improving the college.

William Young, an NIU instructor of leadership and educational policies, believes these obstacles will prevent the college from moving forward.

“I wanted to bring issues and obstacles up that will get in the way of increased productivity for the College of Continuing Education,” Young said.

The major obstacles, according to Young, are:

‘ A lack of an adequate campus plan to deal with overloaded services resulting from increases in NIU off-campus programming. A major increase in off-campus programs without increasing staff in student services could affect campus efforts negatively.

‘ Power and economic control issues. Support has most recently taken the form of “power taking ” and “profit taking.” To gain support of the academic deans, department heads and faculty leaders, “profit sharing” and “power sharing” must take place.

‘ The continued preference of other schools besides NIU as an institution of choice in off-campus graduate and post-graduate education.

‘ The lack of a defined and permanent structure for the college. The unresolved issue of a centralized versus a decentralized college is a barrier to its efficiency.

‘ The lack of permanent off-campus facilities for university offices and classrooms. The Rockford and Hoffman Estates campuses which may open by the middle of the decade will help solve this obstacle.

‘ A lack of shared vision and strategic plan for external programming. Opinion should be united on issues like off-campus programming.

‘ The opposition of other Illinois schools and the seeming indifference of the Illinois Board for Higher Education to NIU’s expansions.

Young was removed from his position last August as part of a College of Continuing Education reorganization plan. Nancy Vedral was recently appointed to the position.