Scholarships have much to offer

By Mark Gates

Need money? Don’t have a clue of what to do this summer? Read on.

Arts Midwest will award $150,000 in fellowships to eligible crafts artists, photographers and sculptors.

Thirty awards of $5,000 each will be made to professional visual artists who have not previously received fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts.

In addition to the award, fellowship artists will participate in a special program designed to encourage exhibitions and purchases of their work.

All applications for this year’s program must be received by 4 p.m. March 29.

To request an application form, write to Arts Midwest, 528 Hennepin Ave., Suite 310, Minneapolis, MN 55403, or call (612) 341-0901 after 6 p.m. on weekdays or anytime on weekends, to leave your name and address.

Art Midwest is also accepting applications for its Minority Arts Administration Fellowship (MAAF) program.

Each year four to six indivituals from the African American, Asian, Hispanic and Native American communities are selected for arts administration residencies at a variety of cultural institutions nation-wide.

In addition to professional training and exposure to a national network of arts administrators and mentors, program fellows also receive a salary stipend of $18,000 plus a modest travel allowance at the end of the nine-month fellowship period. Arts Midwest will further assist fellows with job placement.

Ideal candidates should have some background in the arts, either as artists, community arts activists or administrators. Those interested can contact Janis Lane-Ewart for an application at (612) 341-0755. The deadline for applications is April 30, 1991.

This spring six to 10 undergraduates will be awarded scholarship to attend the Historic Deerfield Summer Fellowship Program in Early American History and Material Culture.

Recipients will live in Deerfield, MA from mid-June to mid-August, and will examine early American history, architecture, decorative arts, museum interpretation and museum operations. Fellows will attend lectures, take field trips to museums, and undertake a research project on historic Deerfield.

Those chosen for the program will receive $4,100 which covers tuition, books, and field trip expenses. The fee for room and board for nine weeks is $1,300. Financial aid for room and board is also available.

Interested students can request a Fellowship brochure and application by writing to Dr. Kenneth Hafertepe, Director of Academic Programs, Historic Deerfield, Inc., Deerfield, MA 01342, or by calling (413) 774-5581.

Applicants must be sophomores, juniors or seniors. Completed applications will be reviewed after April 1, 1991.

Monticello-University of Virginia Archaeology Field School is accepting applications for the four-week, four-credic sessions scheduled for June 16-July 12 and from July 14-August 9. Students may also apply for acceptance to both sessions.

Half the program’s tuition is underwritten by the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit organization that owns and operates Monticello.

oom and board are available at nominal costs through the University of Virginia.

Participants will learn the practical skills of excavation and recording. Weekly seminars will introduce new methodology, scholarship and current discoveries in the field.

Interested students don’t need a background in archeology, but should have a strong interest in history. The course is open to adults with at least one year of college.

For an application to the field school, contact Dr. Barbara J. Heath, Monticello, P.O. Box 316, Charlottesville, VA 22902.

International Art Horizons will award $30,000 in prizes in the 10th New York-international art competition, which is open to artists working in a number of different media.

To receive an application form, send a postcard to International Art Horizons, Dept. RASU, P.O. Box 1533, Ridgewood, NJ 07450. Or call (201) 487-7277 or fax a request to (201) 488-4004. Deadline for submission of application forms with slides is April 12.