Star poll reveals students’ Gulf opinions

By Greg Rivara

NIU students are barely bucking national trends with slightly more than half polled by The Northern Star saying they oppose a war with Iraq.

According to United Nation resolutions, Iraq has until 11 p.m. Chicago time to leave Kuwait or the international peace-keeping force spearheaded by U.S. troops have the go-ahead to force Saddam Hussein’s army out.

An unscientific poll shows 52 percent of NIU students oppose war. An even 50 percent, however, said they approve of how President George Bush is handling the crisis.

The poll was taken by Star staff reporters during the weekend to get a sampling of student feelings. Many were answered by students waiting in the add/drop line. About 100 students were polled.

NIU students remain hopeful. Almost 80 percent believe the conflict can be resolved without bloodshed.

Sophomore Aaron Lates, 19, opposes war. “U.S. policies seem to be inconsistent. There are many other examples of agression and now (the U.S.) decides this is important enough for many U.S. citizens to die for.”

Inconsistency rings fear into those remembering Vietnam, a conflict in which many believed the U.S. government tied the hands of the troops.

And even though Bush insists the Persian Gulf crisis will not turn into another Vietnam, Americans still are skeptical.

“The only thing worse than going to war is going to war with a half-ass attitude from Congress and the nation,” said 25-year-old music major Dereck Werner.

Some people, like 22-year-old communications senior Joe Yates, believe the problem will get worse if Hussein isn’t knocked out now. “It’s better to do away with Hussein now before he obtains nuclear capabilities and poses a more worldwide threat,” he said.

“I think (Bush) is handling it very well,” said Julie Thomas, a 21-year-old senior finance major. “Bush gave a deadline. What more can he do? The situation probably wouldn’t have changed,” she said.

Ken Amann, a 19-year-old sophomore accountancy major, agrees. “Americans need to take a stand and be able to defend it,” he said.

But Michele McCauley doesn’t. “We must take our time and explore all options before a decision is declared that will affect millions of families,” said the 19-year-old political science major.

The random poll showed 50 percent of NIU students believe Congress more actively should oppose Bush.

Pam Tyska reflected the views held by many opposing war. “The grounds for conflict are solely based on economic difficulties,” she said. “It doesn’t appear that Kuwait and the U.S. are in such dire conflict that lives should be sacrificed.”

Some Americans, like 21-year-old elementary education major Stacey Kruskol, remain hopeful. “I think a majority of the U.S. population feels war in the Gulf is unnecessary, which shows there is hope for a peaceful solution.”

An Associated Press poll taken last week found 93 percent saying at least one of five arguments raised for using force against Iraq is a good reason to go to war. However, only 44 percent said the U.S. should attack if Iraqi troops don’t leave tonight.

Many Americans, like 24-year-old Donald Gilbert, reluctantly look at a war with Iraq as a necessity. “It’s not so much that I approve of war, but it’s something we have to do,” said Gilbert, an NIU student.

But junior James Fuenfce, a 20-year-old economics major, might have summed up the world’s feelings best: “All I really care about in this whole situation is my friends coming back safe.”

Restoring the ousted Kuwaiti government is a good reason for war to 59 percent of Americans. Preventing Iraq from controlling a major oil source that would affect the entire world convinced 69 percent.

Preventing Iraqi troops from killing and mistreating Kuwaitis is a valid reason for war, 81 percent of Americans said.

Waging war now to stop Iraq from developing nuclear weapons is good enough for 74 percent of Americans while 71 percent believe a war now is justified to stop Hussein’s war-making ability.