Graduate review courses offered

By Michael McCulloh

Any NIU undergraduate with an eye on graduate school can get a boost from the university.

The College of Continuing Education is offering review courses for those taking the Graduate Record Exam, the Law school Admissions Test, or the Graduate Admissions Test.

“These seminars can help participants brush up their mathematical and verbal skills, become familiar with sample test questions and provide test-taking strategies for timed tests,” said Andrea Horst, program coordinator.

The courses run 16 hours at a cost of $195. Horst said the program has been shortened from previous years because too much time was used for practice tests.

“We cut out some of that activity and now we concentrate on providing intensive teaching,” she said.

Horst said she believes the tests are beneficial for older or returning students returning for law or business degrees.

“The number of adult students returning has increased around NIU and the country, and part of our mission is to help people go on in their education,” Horst said.

Because law school is competitive, more students are interested in the LSAT than the business tests, she said.

Sponsored by Cambridge Educational Services, the courses are constantly changing to provide material pertinent to the tests they will be taking.

“A review course is helpful for anyone who wants to get in a graduate program. Statistics show when people take a pre-test they do better on the actual test,” Horst said.

For dates call Horst at 753-2401.