NIU black student enrollment on the rise

By Jeff Hoste

NIU is gaining black students while their numbers at national and state-wide colleges are decreasing.

A study conducted by the Illinois Board of Higher Education concluded blacks are an even smaller minority on Illinois campuses today than a decade ago.

The board’s seventh annual report on minority participation in higher education said blacks accounted for 11.8 percent of state universities’ enrollment in the fall of 1989, compared to 12.7 percent in 1978.

But enrollment of black students is climbing at NIU, said Barbara Henley, vice president of Student Affairs.

Director of Institutional Research Nicholas Noe said blacks made up 5.4 percent of the undergraduate population at NIU in 1986. Black student enrollment jumped to 6.9 percent of the undergraduate population in 1990.

The increase in the black population is not accidental.

“The university is making more of an effort now than ever,” said Admasu Zike, Director for the Center of Black Studies. Zike said campus and weekend visitations offered to potential black students contribute to high enrollment.

“There are efforts made by the university to recruit these students,” said Tendaji Ganges, director of Educational Services and Programs. Ganges attributes NIU’s success to a very active Black Alumni Council.

Ganges said the alumni council helps contact minority students on an individual basis to meet at the annual Menardi Student Reception at NIU. The reception, which welcomes black and Hispanic students to the university and to minority organizations, will be held Feb. 16 of this year, he said.

The Center for Black Studies also plays a key role in the attraction of black students, said member Nolen Henderson. He said the center members visit area and Chicago high schools to meet with prospective students. They inform the potential students of the many educational and social programs offered to the black students by the university, Henderson said.

Henderson said programs offered by the center include an organization expo, which is an open house for the center displaying all activities and social groups offered, and Chill Fest. Chill Fest is a fall cook-out that encourages social interaction and offers academic advice, such as schedule completion and add/drop.