Committee recommends fee increase

By Sean Thomas

Students could pay nine cents more per credit hour under the proposed grant-in-aid fee increase recommended last month to the President’s Fee Study Committee. However, no increase was recommended for student-to-student grants, also reviewed by the committee.

The request would raise the current fee for full-time undergraduate and graduate students from $2.28 to $3.36, an increase of 68 percent. NIU President will take the committee’s recommendations for Board of Regents approval later this semester.

Jerry Augsburger, director of student financial aid, said the proposed increase reflects mathematically calculated adjustments that are necessary to keep programs functioning at present levels. The increase will guarantee solvent program operation through Fiscal Year 1995 if collective increases in fees and housing do not exceed $150 per year.

“The assessments were made using a historical perspective on increases in recent years,” Augsburger said. “To the best of my knowledge, the only increase that exceeded these projections was the 1990-91 student health insurance increase.”

Augsburger was quick to emphasize that exceptionally large increase proposals such as the health insurance increase could alter the scenario.

“I think we made a very logical, straightforward presentation,” he said. “These figures are to the best of my projection, but nothing is ever certain. We never know how much costs will go up.”

Grant-in-aid funds are utilized for university scholar and academic finalist programs, which are delegated to individuals who demonstrate outstanding academic performance. The programs are used as a recruitment tool to attract valedictorian-level freshmen with ACT scores of 30 or better and transfer students with grade point averages in the 4.0 range. Each year NIU invites 18 freshmen and 7 community college transfer students to interview for university scholar awards.

Once the interviewees are ranked, the top six freshmen and one transfer are selected and receive a tuition waiver, fees, room and board, and a book allowance. The remaining interviewees become academic finalists and receive a tuition waiver and a $300 stipend.

Student-to-student grants will not be recommended for increase, chiefly because of the program’s relatively stable nature. Student-to-student funds are generated each semester from a $3 per student (refundable) fee that is matched by a state contribution. NIU raises about $90,000 per semester, which is matched with state appropriations totalling $60,000-$70,000 and distributed to students who demonstrate the greatest financial need.

“It’s a different funding mechanism,” said committee chairman Anne Kaplan. “Because the match has been slightly under the student contribution, there is little incentive to raise the fee unless the state increases the match.”