Negative reactions brought on by survey

By Michael McCulloh

A USA Today graphic survey titled “How whites view blacks” published in Friday’s Northern Star sparked negative reactions among many NIU black students, although the results weren’t surprising to most.

“The results of the poll didn’t really surprise me and it confirms with what’s in the (race relations) literature in that area,” said Barbara Henley, vice president for Student Affairs.

Henley said the media, and particularly television, has a lot do with perpetuating negative stereotypes.

Accounting major Stephanie Carr feels the graph shouldn’t have been printed in the first place.

“My problem (with the graph) was there wasn’t a related article, it was just stuck there,” Carr said.

“I don’t see how it related to NIU students,” said Carr, adding, however, that the results would probably come out the same at NIU.

Colleen Halliman, Student Affairs Academic Affairs adviser, said she found the results of the poll disturbing.

“I find it very sad. This is 1991 going on ‘92 and this is still going on,” she said. “I would think the progress would be better on college campuses.”

Halliman also partially blames the media for race problems.

“The media makes you feel you have to defend yourself and your constituents. This campus doesn’t need polls like that,” Halliman said.

NIU needs to address racial issues more, said Halliman, who said she is constantly aware of racial strife.

“I feel my color,” she said. “I still get weird looks in classes, like what is she doing here, and this article reinforces it.”

Halliman said she’s witnessed racial incidents at NIU already this semester.

“I was standing in line at the Bursar’s Office when a transfer student said to a girl, ‘get out of my way, black bitch.’ That’s an example of problems students encounter here,” she said.

The survey was conducted by the National Opinion Research Center in the University of Chicago. Funded by the National Science Foundation, the purpose of the poll is to chart trends.

The survey is “academic, as opposed to commercial” said Jeff Hackett, coordinator of public information for the NORC.

The graph was printed on the Star’s national wire page and also was used in professional newspapers across the country that subscribe to USA Today graphics services.

Admasu Zike, director of the Center for Black Studies, said the survey seems to be accurate for the U.S., but that a poll should be taken specifically at NIU.

“Things have changed for the positive, though” in terms of American race relations, Zike said.

Andrea Davis, president of the Organization of Black Business Students, said she doesn’t feel the poll is indicative of students at NIU.

Davis criticized the survey, saying the researchers used “leading” questions and did not publish enough background information on the people who responded.