Theology offered

By Tricia Roegner

The Newman Catholic Student Center will be offering six religious education classes beginning next week.

“I feel that these classes give students the chance to learn more about their faith and also deepen it at the same time,” said Carla Rutter, one of the teachers of this year’s classes.

“After taking some classes in previous years at the Newman Student Center, I feel that I have become more at ease with people with other beliefs and understand them a little better,” said Lynne Ditzler, a senior at NIU.

“Introduction to the Bible” and “Catholic Spirituality in the 1990’s” are two classes that are being offered for the first time this semester.

The Bible class will be taught by Dr. Laura J. Bird on Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m. “Catholic Spirituality” will be taught by Rev. Robert Garrity on Tuesdays from 7 to 9 p.m.

Elaine M. Sharpe and Father Stephen Potter will be teaching “Christian Marriage and Human Sexuality” on Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m. Rev. Potter will also teach “Supervised Ministry” on Wednesdays from 7 to 9 p.m.

“What Does a Modern Catholic Believe” will be offered on Wednesdays by Rev. Schwartz, and “Biblical Women: The New Testament Experience” will be taught by Rutter on Tuesdays at 7 to 9 p.m.

Rutter’s class will basically focus on how the women in the New Testament were portrayed and how some of them related to Jesus Christ.

Two hours credit from each course can be transferred from these Loyola University Extension courses to NIU. Tuition is $40 for students and senior citizens aged 62 and over, and $65 for non-students.

Registration will be held at the Newman office during business hours Monday through Friday . For more information on the classes, call 758-6667.