Fraternities check goals

By Michael McCulloh

All 15 NIU Interfraternity Council chapters have voluntarily signed a “statement of affirmation” pledging they will ban hazing, will combat racist attitudes, and refrain from abusing drugs and alcohol.

Barbara Henley, Vice President for Student Affairs, said the move was extremely positive.

“It says we are openly recommitting ourselves to fraternal goals and the values and goals of the university,” she said.

Failure to adhere to the statement’s atandards, which parallel the Student Judicial Code and university policy goals, could jeopardize a fraternity’s standing at NIU.

Possible sanctions range from letters of reprimand to letters of probation or suspension.

“There are sanctions because if they don’t follow them they’ve violated the goals and values of the university,” she said.

The idea for the statement came about after Henley met with IFC president Rob Martin to discuss the negative aspects of greek life, Henley said. Martin led the effort to obtain the pledges, working on the project since last semester.

Henley cited a recent incident from the New York Times about a fraternity charged with rape as an example of the recent negative publicity fraternities have received.

She also cited the closing down of a University of Colorado fraternity because of a fatal drinking games involved.

“This (the pledging) was a positive step they’ve taken because of the negative stories about fraternities,” Henley said.

Other items in the statement include keeping chapter property clean and maintained, and ongoing campus involvement and service to the community.

The 15 chapters signing pledges are Delta Chi, Delta Sigma Phi, Delta Upsilon, Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Kappa Sigma, Phi Kappa Theta, Phi Sigma Kappa, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Pi and Theta Chi.