CAB offers family activities

By Mark McGowan

The fun doesn’t stop this weekend when the Campus Activities Board kicks off Parents’ Day weekend 1990.

Jennifer Spaulding, CAB chairman for Parents’ Weekend, said the three-day event will feature several exciting events.

The weekend will kick off Friday with a 6 p.m. Candlelight Bowl in the Huskie Den. At 7 p.m., students and their parents can see “Dick Tracy” in Cole 100. The 10 p.m. show will be in the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Or, if live comedy is more pleasing, nationally-renowned comedienne Elayne Boosler will perform at 8 p.m. in Sandburg. Tickets are $3 and on sale from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today at the Pontiac Excitement Center in front of Founders Memorial Library.

Boosler is sponsored by Pontiac and U.S. Concepts. Part of the proceeds will go to the national chapter of Students Against Drunk Driving.

Saturday, students and parents will be welcomed from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Holmes Student Center Promenade Lounge. Also, guided tours of the campus and some academic departments will leave the library every hour on the hour from 9 a.m. until noon.

At 10 a.m., people can start to get ready for the football game between NIU and Murray State by tailgating outside the stadium. Tailgaters must have tickets to enter the area. No bottled beverages will be allowed. The gridiron clash begins at 1:05 p.m. Tickets are $8.

From 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Swen Parson Gallery in Altgeld Hall will present “In Royal Audience,” a Burmese art exhibition.

Students and parents can eat their Saturday night dinners right on campus. The residence halls will be serving parents from 4:30 to 6 p.m. for $4.50 a meal. Or, people can attend the Presdient’s Reception and Dinner at the student center’s Capitol Room with a cash bar at 5 and dinner at 6 p.m. Tickets are $10.25.

At night “The Princess Bride,” will be shown at 4, 7 and 10 in Sandburg. The Chinese Magic Review and Acrobats will perform at the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second Street. Students are $5, adults are $12, senior citizens are $8, children ages 6 to 12 are $8 and children younger than 6 are $4. The show begins at 8 p.m.

Sunday morning begins with a breakfast in the student center’s Pheasant Room. The breakfast costs $7 and must be pre-ordered.