Panel discusses integration

By Sean Thomas

Initial motions supporting racial separation in schools by an all-black discussion panel were stifled by supporters in favor of an integrated stance.

A BROTHERS-sponsored discussion panel designed to confront the effectiveness of desegregated schools faced a mixed-view audience of about 35 people; all but one were black. Student Association president Rob McCormack and Campus Activities Board President Wendy Reid were the only panel absentees, subsequently forfeiting white panel representation.

The audience and panel members chose sides early, as two separate stances dominated the dialogue—often contradicting themselves in the course of discussion.

The first and more vocal stance held that blacks don’t receive black cultural education in white institutions, therefore black and white students should be educated separately.

“There is not a commitment to education of black children by faculty and counselors in white institutions,” said James Anderson, representative of the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. “I feel education may be equal, but dedication is not,” he added.

Others held that schools need to be integrated to give people of all cultures a chance to experience difference firsthand.

“If we separate and whites are never taught about black leaders or leadership, how are they ever going to see us as equals,” said BROTHERS member Chris O’Banner. O’Banner said black students at his suburban high school were placed in remedial classes simply because they couldn’t perform on tests made for whites.

Black Student Union President Trevell Eddins said the ACT college entrance exam is unfair and is further indicative of tests that are racially slanted against blacks. “I think students from white schools perform better on the ACT because it’s not geared for blacks to pass,” he said.

In the end, the sole white spectator expressed his opinion saying lack of educational well-roundedness is found on issues of Vietnam and the American Indians.