SA delays nomination of justices

By Lisa Ferro

Student Association President Robert McCormack on Sunday delayed nominating two SA Supreme Court justices until next week.

Currently, the SA Supreme Court has three out of five justices, including Chief Justice Thomas Gary.

“We’re not punching a time clock to approve the other two senators, McCormack said. “We have reached quorum.”

McCormack said since “things got a little out of hand” last week he wants the senators to step back and look at the issues before having the nominations again.

Wally Wyszynski and Jody Jancaric were up for nomination last week, but were not approved because some of the senators questioned their backgrounds and lack of information about them.

McCormack said next week he will either present the same candidates or come up with new ones for the SA to approve.

In other business, because the SA bylaws do not allow the SA to pay the Student Political Education and Action Committee adviser, Sen. Matt Wetstein proposed adding a bylaw to the constitution which would state, “The SA senate shall have the power to pay the SPEAC adviser for services rendered as of the beginning fall 1990 semester.”

But, Sen. Henry Treftz said, “If we change the bylaws, this would be very dangerous and set a bad precedent.”

The bylaw change would also make a direct change in the constitution, Treftz said.

The senate tabled the discussion until next week.

The SA also approved $5,000 in supplemental funding to the Organization of Latin American Students so it can have Cesar Chavez, a human rights activist and an environmentalist, speak at NIU.

During questions and comments, Sen. Richard Parkman told the senators to look at what they are doing before allocating from supplemental funding. It seems any supplemental funding asked for is granted, Parkman said. So far this year, the SA has approved 45 percent of their supplemental funding which is supposed to last through next semester.

Supplemental funding is money given to a group over and above the group’s budget. The SA began the year with $30,000 available for supplemental funding.

McCormack also distributed notecards for the senators to write two goals which they hope to accomplish this year, so the SA will have a direction to take.