La Tourette neutral on prayer

By Lisa Ferro

NIU President John La Tourette will remain neutral on whether to keep non-denominational prayers in the graduation ceremonies until more information is available.

La Tourette said he was unaware of a movement to remove the benediction and invocation and has not received any recommendations.

Removing the prayers was originally suggested by Commencement Committee member Bruce Kremer, who was concerned about a possible conflict in presenting religious practices in a public institution.

La Tourette said he did not hear of the situation until it appeared in Tuesday’s Northern Star. “Given the amount of information I have on the situation, I will take an open view on the issue until it is reviewed by the provost,” he said. “I am certain the provost will take into account students’ views on the invocations, benedictions and/or introductory and closing remarks at graduation ceremonies.”

Curtis Stein, Student Association Campus Welfare adviser, wrote to La Tourette and Provost Kendall Baker asking them to listen to the students before deciding to remove the prayers.

“I hope before a final decision is made regarding the issue of the removal of the benediction and invocation, students would have an opportunity to express their input,” Stein said.

Commencement Committee Chairman Lea Houdek said the committee only meets a few times a year, right after the commencement ceremony. The December graduation ceremony already has been planned and there is not another meeting until the end of January.

Kremer suggested removing the benediction and invocation at the committee’s last meeting, but Houdek said her committee does not have the power to make such a decision. The suggestion has not been discussed since that meeting, she said.