New financial aid advisor sets goals for NIU

By Lisa Ferro

Although he was appointed just two weeks ago, the Student Committee on Financial Aid adviser already is thinking of ways to bring NIU students and their financial aid money closer together.

Committee adviser Victor Carranza, who was appointed by SA President Rob McCormack, said his first goal is to assess the service that is provided by the Financial Aid Office.

“One of the things I want to do is just assess how students in general feel about the office and what they think the service is providing them,” he said.

Carranza said his second goal is to deal with the complaints students have about the financial aid office.

“Financial aid is a very sensitive issue because the student that is on financial aid needs to receive it on time or it could mean the cancelation of their university careers,” Carranza said.

“We have to attend to any complaints that may be forwarded to us just to see the validity of them and see if there is anything we can do for that,” he said.

Carranza said he also will monitor governmental decisions in Washington and Springfield to see what kind of changes are going on in financial aid grants that might affect students.

Carranza said he also will start a campaign to inform students about financial aid forms, deadlines, and the overall process.

“Students need to know about those type of things because they are very important and there is a strict set of regulations that have to be met,” he said.

Carranza said he plans to implement this knowledge in February during Financial Aid Awareness Month, when his committee will work with the Financial Aid office to get information out to the students.

Carranza also is on the Student Financial Advisory Board.

“This committee formulate the basis of seeking improvements in the Financial Aid office,” Carranza said. “It is one of the things that I am actively participating in as a vehicle … to have the university be aware of our perspective and our opinions about the office and how it’s run.

For students who want to express their concerns, there is a “pass the buck” box located inside the financial aid office, which has seen little activity lately—something Carranza said he would like to change.

“I’d like get that running again and have that as a way for student to addrress their suggestions, advice, concerns and complaints,” he said.

Carranza said he urges any students interested in reducing financial aid problems to join the committee.