McCormack fulfills campaign promise

By Lisa Ferro

Student Association Rob McCormack’s campaign promise to distribute a campus safety mannual will be followed through Wednesday.

The campus safety mannual titled “Safety and You at NIU” will be distributed Wednesday at the residence halls, fraternities and sororities. Copies will be available at the University Police office, the Admissions Office, the Holmes Student Center information desk and the Bursar’s Office. Copies also will be passed out Thursday at the Campus Saftey Day presentation.

The mannual was researched by McCormack and taken over by Welfare Adviser Curtis Stein last semester.

“The mannual serves two purposes,” Stein said. “It is an information source to what agencies and organizations are available in safety.”

The mannual contains a paragraph about each organization’s functions, including names and telephone numbers of people students can contact.

“The second purpose is how students can compare the community to be a safer place,” Stein said. “It is a prevention-oriented portion of the mannual.”

It will contain a Huskie Bus Line map, a map of where emergency call boxes are located and directions on how to use the boxes.

There will also be a list of emergency and non-emergency, off-campus and on-campus telephone numbers, Stein said.

“We want to make this so that if there were an emergency situation, these agencies and procedures are accessible,” McCormack said.

It tells the parent “this university is doing everything it can to ensure the students’ safety on campus,” McCormack said.

“Other universities are suffering right now from incidents on campus that could have been prevented,” McCormack said. “This is a preventative program that we are trying to have supplied to students.”

“It’s a way of saying NIU is not going to be reacting to an incident; instead we are doing everything possible as students to ensure that an incident can be prevented before it occurs,” McCormack said.

Public Relations Adviser Lara Cipolla agrees. “Campus safety is a national issue right now,” she said. “We hope we could set a precident that other universities are going to want to follow.”

“We would hope that the safety mannual be distributed consistently each year to new students because it is good for both parents and students to know,” McCormack said.