Kent State to elect president

By Lisa Ferro

NIU Provost Kendall Baker has been chosen as one of three finalists for Kent State University president.

And he might take the job if the offer is right.

The Kent State University Presidential Search Committee announced Friday the names of the finalists, selected from a national field of candidates seeking to become Kent State’s 10th president.

Baker said he will consider taking the position after learning more about the college, what opportunities are available and what the job specifications are. But Baker is not “just going to jump into” Kent State because he is proud of his work at NIU.

The 15-member search committee—which is made up of Kent State trustees, faculty, administrators, students and alumni—evaluated applications and nominations from more than 110 people before narrowing it down to four. One of the finalists dropped out.

“I am honored that I am a candidate for it,” Baker said.

Baker was nominated for the position, but said he does not know who put his name into consideration, explaining he has many acquaintances in higher education. Baker said he learned he was nominated in August and sent a letter to Kent State officials telling them he was interested in the job.

The finalists will begin visiting Kent State next week, where they will tour the campus and meet with faculty, staff, students and members of the community and Board of Trustees.

Prior to NIU, Baker was dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Bowling Green State University and he was a political science professor at the University of Wyoming.

He received his doctorate and master’s degree in political science from the University of Maryland.

Kent State President Michael Schwartz announced last spring he would resign as president and return to teaching.

Baker said he does not know when the position at Kent State will open. “We haven’t talked about the specifics yet, he said, but I assume it will be in the next calendar year,” he said.

The board is expected to make its decision Dec. 6.