NIU AMA chapter holds fundraiser

By Lisa Ferro

NIU’s American Marketing Association chapter will hold its second annual walk-a-thon next month to raise money for the Starlight Foundation, an organization which supports chronically, critically and terminally ill children.

The five mile walk-a-thon will be held Nov. 3 at noon. The walk-a-thon will start at the Huskie Stadium, circle the campus and part of DeKalb, and end back at the Huskie Stadium.

All money raised at this event will go toward the Starlight Foundation, said AMA Public Relations Director Mary Price. Last year, there were around 50 walkers and the AMA raised $7,200 for the Starlight Foundation, Price said.

This year more than 200 people have signed up to walk, including B95 morning disk jockey Jeff Quinn and Kathy Chukas of the Starlight Foundation in Chicago, said SA Public Relations Director Lara Cipolla, who is helping AMA with its public relations.

Prizes will be awarded to the organization which raises the most money. Each individual in that organization will receive a walk-a-thon T-shirt and the organization will receive a plaque, Cipolla said.

The individual who raises the most money in the walk-a-thon will receive two round-trip airline tickets to anywhere in the continental United States, Price said. The tickets have been donated by Midway Airlines, she said.

The walk-a-thon will be covered nationally on CNN-TV and Q101 from Chicago also will publicize the event, Price said. DeKalb’s B95 will be broadcasting live at the walk-a-thon.

Unlike last year, Price said there are several campus and corporate organizations supporting the walk-a-thon. “There has never been a campus-wide fund-raising event where the whole campus has participated,” Price said. “It’s going to make NIU look really good since it’s on CNN.”

Student organizations who donate over $50 will get their name on the walk-a-thon T-shirt, Cipolla said