Towers: forum for self-expression

By Lynn Rogers

No, NIU’s literary magazine isn’t named for the residence halls on the west end of campus.

Contrary to popular belief, Towers was named for Altgeld Hall and its “spires” back in 1939. At a time when self-expression began to flourish, the magazine was started in order to give students an outlet for their creativity and talents.

Originally an insert in the Northern Illinois (the old NIU newspaper), The Towers (“the” has since been dropped) was founded by Sigma Tau Delta, the English honor fraternity, and Nu Iota Pi, the journalism honor fraternity. The staff was comprised of members from both organizations and chose student manuscripts based on quality, originality and student interest. The categories included short stories, essays, poems and plays.

The first issue of The Towers was printed in the spring of 1939 and was sold on the streets of DeKalb to help defray costs. The original book was 40 pages, with a cover drawn by a fine arts major. It was published annually until 1964, when it was distributed each semester.

Each issue began with a poem about the towers of Altgeld, written by a student or staff member. In the first issue, the stone which form your souls/We are the granite which rises into towers…”

In 1957, the format of the magazine was expanded to include artworks and awards, which were judged by English department faculty members.

Covers of the magazine changed throughtout the years, reflecting the mood of the nation at the time. The 1950s and early 60s saw art deco-ish, geometric designs, while the late 60s and early 70s were more abstract and “far out.”

Today, Towers is S.A. funded and published every spring. The magazine accepts submissions for poetry, non-fiction, fiction and art.

Remembering the words of one poet from 1947:

“Some of the towers have fallen

Even the strongest and mightiest amomg them

But the eternal towers of song have not fallen;

The beautiful towers still lift our eyes upwards.

They are everlasting monuments to the poetry and passion of the ages…”