Ill students wait for medical care

By Michael McCulloh

Masses of sick students waiting for health care in a narrow hallway for long periods of time are a common sight at the University Health Service.

Since the health center moved to the Holmes Student Center’s second floor, things haven’t been easy for staff and students.

There isn’t enough room for staff to work, and students have had to wait longer to see someone, said Rosemary Lane, Health Services director.

“If you’re peddling, you can’t make them work harder by cracking the whip. We’re trying to do the best we can under the circumstances,” Lane said.

She said there hasn’t been a significant number of complaints about a lack of adequate service, and that “students have been sympathetic about the situation.”

Many students have a bad perception about the health center in general, and that should be expected, Lane said.

“Many students have this perception that their hometown physicians know better than we do. And this isn’t always the case. In fact, we dealk with common illnesses among students every day, and may know more about them because of that,” she said.

Lane added that some students feel anything sponsored by the university is incompetent, and compare the health center situation to dorm food.

If there are any legitimate complaints, they are investigated thoroughly and the health center trys to remedy the situation, Lane said. “Last year we had a creditation check, and we passed with flying colors,” she said.

The health center moved last summer when workers began a $3.8 million asbestos removal project. Work is expected to be completed by next fall.

Unlike staff members at the health center, the Gynecology Clinic staff like their new site-The DeKalb Clinic-although they have to move out by July 1, they would like to stay if it could, Lane said. “Who wouldn’t. It has better accomodations,” she said.

Adding to the problems the health center currently faces are the high number of students with colds.

“Lots of people have had colds. It’s been heavy,” Lane said.

Ways in which students can avoid getting colds include limiting the amount of partying they do, avoiding highly congested areas and washing their hands more. However, Lane conceded, “sometimes there’s nothing we can do about it.”

The influenza season might be approaching soon, but students should have no reason for conern.

“Unless a physician recommends a vaccine, students shouldn’t be at high risk if they’re taking care of themselves,” said Margaret Merrill, American Lung Association of North Central Illinois executive director.