NIU students respond to ‘sin taxes’ increase plan

By Amy Julian

Smoking and drinking might become more expensive if Washington’s congressional bargainers get their way and raise the “sin taxes” on cigarettes and alcohol.

To help reduce the budget deficit $50 billion next year and $500 billion through 19905, the Bush administration and negotiators are discussing doubling the 16-cent-per-pack federal tax on cigarettes.

To make matters worse for drinkers, DeKalb Liquor Mart manager Jim Callahan said the proposed beer tax increase is $4 per case.

“People won’t stand for it,” he said. “It’s a shame that the common people have to pay for the government’s indiscretion.”

The current tax on all alcohol is 9 percent, with no federal tax, said Doug Merrill, finance director for DeKalb. “It would definitely affect sales,” Callahan said.

Students, many of whom already are on limited budgets, had mixed reactions to the possible tax.

Smoker Cheryl Nelson, a 20-year-old junior pre-business major, said she would be against the tax on cigarettes. “It’s already overtaxed.”

“I’d pay it but I’d be unhappy. They’re taking advantage of people who are addicted,” she said.

Nelson said the government should reduce its spending instead of picking one product to tax.

“It’s a luxury item,” said smoker Peggy Howell, a graduate student in counseling. “I don’t know if it would make an impact on the deficit, but it’s better than raising tuition.”

Nonsmoker Tom Frieders, a 21-year-old senior meteorology major, said an increase in the cigarette tax won’t bother him because “cigarettes aren’t good for you anyway.”

Frieders said if beer increased $4 per case, he probably would not buy it because he’s “not that big of a drinker.”

Only 7 percent of students smoke regularly, compared to 23 percent of non-students.